Statement of significance and history notes:
The residence at the entrance of Bellbrook, built by Dan and Billy Dalziel as a residence for Dan and his wife Eva, nee Cheers. They had previously lived at a farm on the opposite side of the river from Uralgurra. The house is built of timber with high ceilings and a wide veranda. Although built as a residence, Mrs Davis took in boarders, particularly the teachers in the district including the teacher at Nulla Creek Aboriginal school. The house was purchased by Jack and Anna McCarthy as a residence in 1935 and is now a private home.
The house has a historical background in that it was built as a residence for Dan Davis. Dan took over the mail run from Bellbrook to Comara on the Armidale run in 1913. He made local history by establishing the first motor service route, driving a Brasier open tourer.
The residence is a splendid example of a family home in a coutry town. It was built of local timber and the builder was a local tradesman who left his mark on many houses in the district.
Ref. Marie H.Neil, Valley of the Macleay, 1972 p64 MRHS Files (Bellbrook)
2. The name Bellbrook was adopted as the offical title for the first post office in 1882 at the suggestion of James Chapman Toose, who established the office at the junction of Nulla Nulla Creek and the Macleay River. Prior to this the office was a telegraph station. The town was laid out and gazetted as Bellbrook in 1892. Caroling McMaugh, wife of John McMaugh, an early settler, named the village. At the time bellbirds inhabited the dense scrub along Nulla Nulla Creek. The character of Bellbrook is expressed in the traditional architectural forms of the original buildings that are typical of the period ad the consistent use of weatherboard and corrugated iron materials.
Ref. Macleay River Historical Society Inc. Walks in History, Bellbrook. For more information, see the Macleay River Historical Society Inc. Museum and Resource Centre.